Lending for Water and Sanitation
Our partners are changing lives
Water.org works with our partners to break down the financial barriers between people in need and access to safe water and sanitation solutions. We combine our international experience with in-depth local research to support financial institutions to effectively create, launch and scale loan products that will prosper in the local market and drive social impact.
More than 154 partners around the world have joined our effort and share our vision to end the global water crisis, bringing expertise, market insights, passion and results. Our partners have mobilized $4.4 billion in capital to support small loans that bring access to safe water and sanitation to millions of people in need.
The value of lending for water and sanitation
Water.org provides a water and sanitation loan solution that is easy to maintain, sustain, and is good for your bottom line. Adding water and sanitation lending to your portfolio can help attract and retain clients, grow your business and change lives.
Here are a few benefits:
- Enter new markets and get new clients: In Uganda, approximately 40% of WaterCredit borrowers are estimated to be new clients while the remaining 60% were existing loan borrowers.
- Increase existing client loyalty: Offering new products is a cost-effective option for deepening engagement with existing clients and increasing revenue.
- Cross-selling: Water and sanitation lending can lead clients to think about borrowing funds for other parts of their house or business, and can be an entry into housing finance.
- Diversify portfolios at low risk: When products for water and sanitation are well designed, they are no riskier than the typical microenterprise loan, and WaterCredit repayment rates are 99% globally.
- Increase profitability: People are willing to repay at market interest rates because the cost of living without improved water and sanitation is often higher.
- Contribute to a social mission: Financing for water and sanitation can complement social responsibility activities.
How we can work together
Water.org has more than a decade of experience helping partners lend for water and sanitation. Water.org provides expert training and technical assistance to develop and scale successful water and sanitation lending products.
We provide a proven water and sanitation lending solution and offer support for integrating it into your loan portfolios, including a deployable training program to guide your team in the development of successful water and sanitation lending products. This can connect you to large, untapped markets in need of financing for water and sanitation.
Help someone in need get access to a small, affordable loan for water.Donate